Can Hypertension Cause Hair Loss?
Hypertension itself comes with its entire baggage of risks including heart disease, damage to kidneys, damage to the brain, but now, hair loss also seems to be added to the list.
Most recently, researchers have identified a new connection between hair and heart health. A Japanese team of scientists led by Dr. Tomohide Yamada from the University of Tokyo has found a convincing correlation between hair loss and hypertension, a condition more commonly referred to as high blood pressure.
The findings are the result of a study of nearly 38,000 men and women in which participants who suffered with hair loss, specifically pattern baldness, were about 72% more likely to also exhibit signs of hypertension. It also revealed that going bald can be an indicator of other health conditions such as heart disease and cancer.
Drugs used to treat high blood pressure can cause hair loss
There are five most common classes of medications used to treat hypertension. According to the latest study in 2014, hair thinning and shedding is one of the side effects of these medicines if you use it as daily maintenance for your hypertension. If you experienced excessive hair loss while using these medicines you better consult your doctor.
- Diuretics- If you’ve just been diagnosed with blood pressure, it’s very likely that your doctor will prescribe diuretics to you. These pills work by getting rid of extra sodium and water from your body, thus reducing the amount of pressure on the arteries. Some common diuretics are Edecrin (ethacrynic acid), Inspra (eplerenone) and Lasix (furosemide).
- Beta Blockers- This category of drug works by slowing down your heart rate, thereby controlling the amount of force exerted on the heart and arteries. Some common beta blockers known to cause hair loss are metoprolol (Lopressor), nadolol (Corgard), timolol (Blocadren) and propranolol (Inderal and Inderal LA).
- Ace Inhibitors- Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors prevent the generation of the angiotensin hormone. This leads to relaxed blood vessels and controlled blood pressure. Some commonly prescribed ace inhibitors are captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec) and lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril).
- Calcium channel blockers- These types of medications are known to relax the heart and arteries by preventing calcium from entering. Some common calcium blockers are diltiazem (Cardizem, Tiazac) and nifedipine (Adalat CC, Procardia).
- ARBs- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers, similar to the way ace inhibitors work, reduce the amount of angiotensin hormone produced by the body. This leads to lowering of the blood pressure. Frequently prescribed ARBs include Cozaar (losartan), Diovan (valsartan) and Micardis (telmisartan).
How To Regrow Your Hair Back To Health!
Massaging the scalp can help to restore hair growth and can be used in conjunction with hair oils and masks. This stimulates the scalp and can improve hair thickness.
Taking the time to massage your scalp each day can also help you relieve stress and tension. It’s thought that stretching forces during the massage encourage hair growth and thickness in the dermal papilla cells.
Taking hair vitamins daily
Studies dating back several years suggest vitamins help prevent hair loss.
A review in Dermatology and Therapy examined the role of various vitamins and minerals in preventing hair loss. The role of vitamins and minerals in hair loss remains unclear.
However, vitamin deficiencies may be a risk factor for hair loss. Some vitamins and minerals that may help include:
- vitamin B
- vitamin D
- vitamin A
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
Anyone considering taking a daily hair supplement should talk to a doctor first. The best products contain all or most of the recommended daily amounts of each vitamin and mineral in a single dose. Try our BIOTIN VEGETARIAN STRAWBERRY GUMMIES FOR HAIR GROWTH
Using coconut oil for damaged hair
A study in 2018 found that coconut oil may help to prevent hair loss due to ultraviolet light damage or grooming habits. However, further research is necessary to confirm this.
Applying coconut oil to the scalp could strengthen hair and avoid loss from damage. Check out Glammednaturallyoil ORGANIC COCONUT OIL
Maintaining good hair and scalp care
Taking proper care of the hair and scalp can help prevent hair loss. It may also improve hair growth. Keeping the scalp and hair clean may also prevent hair damage and loss.
According to a 2015 review, certain medicated shampoos and conditioners could prevent hair loss. Avoiding harsh treatments, such as heat, curling, and dyes, may also help. Glammednaturallyoil Hair growth biotin shampoo and conditioner is made with organic & natural ingredients that promotes hair growth. Start your healthy hair growth journey with us today!